"City N" №05 (1114), 17 JANUARY 2016
The organizer of all-Russian startup competitions Vitaly Galenchiksaid N about a new niche for IT business — Internet of things.
One of the educational discussions of the Skolkovo All-Russian Startup Tour held in Rostov in early February, the organizers devoted to smart gadgets and their capture of more and more space in human life. Young entrepreneurs were told about the possibilities of monetizing this process. Vitaly Galenchik explained to correspondent N that there are already successful foreign projects that have received their billions, but things are still more complicated in Russia.
N: — You participated in the discussion of the Rostov stage of the Skolkovo startup tour about the internet of things. What might be interesting about this topic for novice entrepreneurs?
VG: — Internet of Things — it is a concept brought together by a common vision and the expectation that the majority of technical devices will be able to connect to the network in the next five years.
According to IDC, there will be about 30 such devices worldwide by 2020 billion — from cars to vacuum cleaners. The monetary capacity of this market could reach more than $8 trillion. Today, smart home technologies, augmented and virtual reality, platforms and applications for mobile, embedded electronics are gaining popularity. If we talk about wearable electronics, then we are witnessing a paradigm shift: a person is gradually moving from using an external computer to the constant interaction of smart devices with his body.
N: — Did you see something interesting at the Rostov conference "Skolkovo"?
VG: — If we talk about unusual ideas, then, for example, for several years now I have been observing the development of the WIRA wireless charger project, which is being developed by a young scientist from Krasnodar, Dmitry Lopatin. If under the word «interest» to understand projects that are potentially suitable for investment, then serious breakthrough solutions in this area have not appeared for a long time, and the Rostov conference is no exception.
N: — Why?
VG: — In Russia, it is customary to roughly divide startups into IT and non-IT. Each type has its own difficulties in organizing business processes. But IoT startups are essentially a mix of both and are facing challenges from both software and hardware companies. That is, the difficulties relate to both writing the program logic of future products, and difficulties in the production of the electronic devices themselves. Not to mention pumping the market and sales.
N: — Is there any other way to develop in this area for an existing business, maybe not the creation of a unique item, but software for it?
VG: — Essentially, the Internet of Things — it is a compilation and refinement of existing technologies. So young companies can focus on the engineering of various components. For example, you can focus on reducing the size of the modules used or designing software platforms. In the same way, you can visualize new products and design them. It all depends on the creative abilities of the team.
Foreign startup Radius, specializing in the analysis of data generated by IoT devices, has already been bought for $ 19.8 million
N: — How developed is this market in Russia?
VG: — He is only forborn both here and abroad. The rules of the game on it have not yet been determined, and the segments are not divided between the players. Today it is difficult to predict which of the startups will come across a truly promising topic. No one imagined that the company that made electronic bracelets and acoustics for smartphones would be worth $ 3.3 billion in a few years. I'm talking about Jawbone (a fitness bracelet that allows you to track physical activity, sleep phases, wake up a person at the most appropriate time etc. — N). Last August, Samsung acquired SmartThings, a developer of smart home solutions, for $200 million. One of his investors, by the way, is Yuri Milner, co-owner of Mail.ru Group.
N: — How the Internet of Things will make life easier for an ordinary person — understandable, but what business issues can it help with?
VG: — For business, a more complex IoT format is being developed — These are technologies used in factories and logistics centers. At Amazon, for example, logistical robots do most of the work.
N: — With the synchronization of a large number of devices, security issues are sure to arise.
VG: — This is one of the most pressing problems. There are already examples of hacker attacks aimed at modern gadgets and next-generation household devices. Potential Threats of the Internet of Things — this is not only the destruction of devices, but also the possible use of kettles and irons as zombie computers participating in DDoS attacks against organizations and enterprises that will also switch to a new format of intellectual production. Another problem may be the need to constantly synchronize and securely store data on devices connected to the network. We already have a product at Acronis that allows you to control the distribution of data, as well as transfer and store it in encrypted form.
- 20.11.2023 Telegram bots for business Telegram bots have become an indispensable tool for business.
- 12.11.2023 Smart technologies for cars Smart technologies for cars is a set of innovative solutions that are designed to make driving safer, more convenient and more efficient.
- 01.11.2023 Mesh networks: a new level of communication Mesh networks is a new communication technology that offers a wireless network consisting of nodes that can be connected to each other directly.
- 30.10.2023 Digital Addressable Lighting Interface The Dali (Digital Addressable Lighting Interface) protocol is a communication standard for controlling lighting in a smart home.
- 20.10.2023 Сommunication protocols Сommunication protocols that are used by smart home devices.
- 15.10.2023 Apple HomeKit Apple HomeKit is a smart home platform developed by Apple Inc.
- 05.09.2023 KNX smart home automation system KNX smart home automation system
- 02.08.2023 Amazon Alexa Amazon Alexa is a virtual assistant developed by Amazon that has become one of the most popular voice assistants in the world.
- 12.07.2023 Xiaomi Smart Home Xiaomi Smart Home is a line of products developed by Xiaomi, a Chinese electronics company known for its affordable and high-quality products.
- 01.06.2023 The Internet of Things (IoT) The Internet of Things (IoT)
- 15.05.2023 Popular devices for smart home in Europe A smart home is a home in which devices are automatically controlled and controlled using the Internet.
Smart homes in USA
Smart homes are becoming increasingly popular in America
- 26.03.2023 Batteries for the home can seriously make your life easier
- 24.02.2023 Zwave automation Examples of automation
- 18.11.2022 Smart home without wires: overview of modern technologies Overview of modern technologies
- 14.11.2022 Overview of Zwave equipment Overview of equipment and capabilities
Li-fi: Internet at the speed of light
Innovative data transfer solution
- 01.06.2022 Vision locks Office Locks
- 25.02.2022 About the Internet of Things Once again about the Internet of Things at the present stage of development
- 18.02.2022 Which wireless automation is better Which data transfer protocol is right for you?
- 16.08.2021 Netgear Arlo Smart Camera Home security without wires
- 15.05.2021 Smart home from Xiaomi We continue to introduce you to home automation
- 09.02.2021 Controller MAX New equipment is available for order
- 10.11.2020 Is it worth buying Chinese (Noname) LED lamps?
- 05.08.2020 FAQ 2 Answers to questions continued
- 04.05.2020 Examples of ebiding company's work
- 25.01.2020 Lightmer 2.0 and Plugger The new product line of the ebilding company
- 20.11.2019 Smart Home in Crisis
- 18.09.2019 WI-FI networks of the new generation at a frequency of 900MHz Smart Home
- 16.05.2019 Seamless roaming News from Ebilding
- 12.01.2019 MediaTek has introduced its smart home chip As part of CES 2016
- 28.12.2018 Happy New Year! Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!
- 28.12.2018 Lightmer from ebilding The solution to the problem of unplugged light
- 24.07.2018 New control system for the z-wave protocol News from Ebilding
- 22.04.2018 Devices for electrical energy saving Weekly review of interesting devices/ways to save electricity
- 20.12.2017 To the world of innovative energy saving solutions together with ebuilding
- 18.11.2017 Modern methods of smart home management
- 11.05.2017 Ways to save on production Saving electrical energy is an important aspect in the conduct of production activities
- 11.11.2016 Overview of the Vera controller line Ready-made kits for automation of apartments and private houses are becoming more and more popular
- 21.10.2016 From a smart home to the Internet of Things
- 16.05.2016 Transportation of coolant media The problem of transportation of working and technological media of heat carriers
- 24.03.2016 Opening a website Our website starts working after the update
- 24.08.2015 Buy An Ebuilding System Ebuilding is your key to success
- 17.04.2015 Reconstruction of the Hotel building Reconstruction of the building for the construction of a \"3-star class hotel\"